Trump threatens strikes on Iran
Digest more
Trump signals possible military action as Iran drafts counterproposal amid rising Strait of Hormuz and regional security concerns.
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump warned on Friday that limited strikes against Iran are possible even as the country’s top diplomat said Tehran expects to have a proposed deal ready in the next few days following nuclear talks with the United States.
The US could allow Iran to continue with “token” nuclear enrichment if it leaves itself no path to an atomic bomb, according to reports.
The gambit was successful. At least twice, the president weighed ordering an attack on Iran, only to be dissuaded by aides from moving forward. But America now appears to be on the brink of war with Iran again. And this time, instead of acting as a deterrent, the Pentagon’s war plans are being used to draw up options for the president to consider.
Trump has warned Tehran it has days to reach a deal on its nuclear programme as the US continues massing forces, Iran drills with Russia, and Europe fears an imminent regional war. View on euronews
The Iranian leadership is weighing up whether resisting US demands is the best option for its survival.
The Iranian naval drill and the arrival of the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier near the mouth of the Mediterranean Sea underscore the tensions between the nations.
The U.S. and Iran are signaling they're prepared for war if talks on Tehran’s nuclear program fizzle out, as a second U.S. aircraft carrier nears the Middle East.
Tehran resident Hamid struggles to sleep as fears of renewed conflict haunt the Iranian capital after last year's 12-day war with Israel."I don't sleep well at night even while taking pills," Hamid told AFP,
WASHINGTON, Feb 20 (Reuters) - The United States did not seek zero uranium enrichment in nuclear talks this week and Iran did not offer to suspend enrichment, Iran's foreign minister said on Friday, adding that he expected to have a draft counterproposal ready within days.